Friday, October 11, 2013
Program Assistant Intern, Human Rights Clinic
TITLE: Program Assistant Intern, Human Rights Clinic
REPORTS TO: Program Director, New York HQ
BASED IN: New York, New York
CLASSIFICATION: Intern, unpaid
COMMITMENT: Minimum four month commitment, 3-4 days/week.
HealthRight International is a global health and human rights organization working to build lasting access to health for excluded communities. Working closely with communities and establishing local partnerships to deliver health services, HealthRight provides training and equipment and improves systems to enable local partners to deliver services on their own. HealthRight’s goal is to create lasting change that supports access to health while strengthening human rights.
HRC PROJECT OVERVIEW
The Human Right Clinic (HRC) is a project of HealthRight International whose primary objective is to provide survivors of torture seeking asylum in the United States with access to trained physicians and mental health professionals who conduct forensic evaluations for survivors’ asylum and other immigration proceedings. Survivors in need of follow-up medical and psychosocial care can access services in their communities through the Access to Support and Services for Survivors of Torture (ASSIST) program. The HRC provides services to survivors of torture in over 11 states across the country.
PRIMATY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under supervision and guidance of HRC program staff, the Program Assistant Intern will assist in the following:
1. Reviewing client files: process client information, research country conditions, document torture history.
2. Recruitment/Training of volunteers: organize trainings in different US states, including recruitment, logistics, post-training processing.
3. Database maintenance: Add and update client, attorney and volunteer information in the database.
4. Writing and research: Prepare outline for and contribute to HRC communication materials on topics such as torture, US immigration laws, and clinical evaluation and treatment of torture survivors.
5. Case follow-up: gather information from clients' cases; update volunteer clinicians on adjudication of clients examined.
6. Perform other support activities as required.
Email resume with cover letter to Lisa Matos, Project Director, at email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No calls please.